A lot of people die from vehicular accidents every year. The victims are of different ages. Some acquire serious injuries because they were not wearing their seatbelts. Some parents and guardians forget to strap children in car baby seats. Using a proper car baby seat can prevent the possibility of getting injured up to 80%. It can also reduce the possibility of death for up to 20%.
The moment that a child becomes a passenger, the child needs to be properly restrained with the use of child safety seats. If the child is a bit older, then the usual car seat belt can be sufficient. Seat belts and car baby seats are meant to restrain the strongest parts of the body so that the crash will not be too impactful to children. This is also what seat belts do. When the body slows down, other parts of the body, like the brain and spinal cord become more protected.
How to Choose the Right Car Baby Seat
You have learned the most important reason why a car baby seat is needed – for prevention of injury and possible death. There is a need for you to find the right baby seat. These are some of the guidelines to follow:
- Choose a car baby seat depending on the child’s age. Newborn children to those who are 2 years old would need rear-facing seats. From the ages of 2 – 4 years old, your child would need a front-facing seat. Those who are 4 years old up to 8 years old who are below 4’11” in height need a booster seat. Those who are 8 years old and above may just use a seatbelt like adults.
- You also have to consider your baby’s height and weight. It is a known fact that children all come in different weight and sizes. Your child may be 6 years old but is already nearing 4 feet, 11 inches in height. No booster seat will be able to fit your child anymore so a seatbelt may be more effective in protecting your child.
- The car baby seat has to follow the safety standards set by your country or state. You will find a lot of car baby seats that are appealing to look at and affordable. When you check, however, you will not find any indication that it has been approved by companies who are in charge of your child’s safety.
To evaluate the quality of the car seat, you can look for the following:
- Safety label which means that it has passed rigorous testing to ensure the users of the car baby seat. You can learn more details when you check Safety First Booster Seat 2018.
- Reviews and ratings will state if people who have purchased the car baby seat are happy with it. The more positive reviews available, the better.
- It is better if you purchase brand new car seats. You may opt to purchase second-hand car seats because of the price but old car seats may not protect your child as much as new car seats do. The money you will spend on the car baby seat may save your child’s life.
The details that you have learned will hopefully help you in reaching the right decision regarding the car seat that you need.