The Philippines is experiencing an average of 18-20 typhoons or tropical cyclones every wet season from May to October yearly, which means a threat to everyone’s home and people’s health. That said, here are some ways to prepare your home for the rainy season in the Philippines.
1. Monitor latest weather bulletins and forecasts (e.g. www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph and www.windy.com ).
2. Ensure that emergency supplies and equipment are available in the office and at home .
3. Plan ahead and prepare. Formulate family emergency plans (i.e. evacuation plans and procedure,, communication and reunification plans).
4. Inspect house for roof leaks, cracked walls, clogged drainage and roof gutters, and address issues accordingly.
5. Keep an updated list of contact details of emergency response agencies, local DRRM offices, volunteer rescue organizations of the locality where you reside.
From Doki Natividad of Energy Development Corporation – Emergency Management Unit.