I told you not to leave the house!
Had my son heed my warning yesterday he would have been spared from the accident that left a three-inch stitches on his forehead.
I was busy browsing the Net while hubby and daughter had their afternoon snack when my youngest asked permission to play outside.
He was grounded for a few days as he was recovering from fever and tonsillitis.
But he still went out despite my warning. Thirty minutes later my niece came rushing to tell us that Khalil tripped over a protruding piece of metal covering the water meter of our neighbor. There was blood all over his face and white shirt. He was crying and begging for our help.
I was panicking and confused on what to pick up or apply to the wound to stop it from bleeding. The sight of blood really made me sick. My husband, on the other hand, was all composed attending to our son being a Red Cross first-aider in high school. He cleansed the wound with soap and running water and apply an antiseptic solution.
We decided to finally bring him to the nearest hospital in the area to close the gaping wound.
My son initially underwent a skull x-ray examination to find out whether fragments of metal remain inside the wound or rule out suspicion of a broken bone near the site of wound. An SOP performed by the hospital’s emergency room before my son’s wound was finally stitched up.
An active and passive anti-tetanus shots were administered to him to prevent tetanus microbe from setting in. The vaccines gave my son a five-year immunity from tetanus infection.
What lesson does my son get from the incident? The young boy promised to be more careful when playing outside. To us parents, its better to be always on our toes whatever type of mess we are in and always hope that no similar incident will happen again. But, kids will always be kids.